Job Opening – Research Assistant (04/2010)
Dal Pozzo Project Research Assistant
The Royal Collection
The Royal Household – Warburg Institute
Based at the Warburg Institute, London (though much time will be spent at other locations, including the Royal Library at Windsor Castle).
c. £21,000 p.a. plus benefits. Fixed-term project for three years.
The Print Room at Windsor Castle is responsible for the works of art on paper in the Royal Collection, including old master drawings, eighteenth- and nineteenth-century watercolours, and prints – over 150,000 items in all.
Among the old master drawings is the major surviving portion of the ‘Paper Museum’ of Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588-1657), a visual encyclopaedia of the ancient and natural worlds. Other portions are to be found in the Institut de France, the British Museum, the British Library and elsewhere. The Dal Pozzo Project was begun in the 1980s to research and publish catalogues of this collection, in around 35 volumes, of which 15 have been published to date (see the Project website at warburg.sas.ac.uk/pozzo/)
The opportunity has arisen for a Research Assistant to join the Dal Pozzo Project for a three year period. The post-holder will be responsible for the preparation of draft catalogue entries for 1300 drawings mainly after Roman sculpture, which will form Parts A.III (Sarcophagi and Other Reliefs) and A.IV (Statues and Busts) of the Dal Pozzo catalogue series.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A broad and detailed knowledge of Graeco-Roman world and classical archaeology, especially Roman sculpture, and familiarity with the collecting history of classical sculpture, with particular reference to sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Italy.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification (or equivalent) and experience of working within archives.
- Fluency in English, and excellent reading knowledge of Italian, Latin, and ideally German.
- A methodical approach, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Resilience and motivation to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
The closing date for applications is 3 May 2010. Interviews will take place at the Royal Library, Windsor on 17-18 May 2010, with a view to the appointment commencing on 1 September 2010.
For further information please call 020 7862 8899.
To apply online please visit www.royal.gov.uk/recruitment or call 020 7024 5999.