Job Opening – Associate Curator (02/2011)
The Montalvo Arts Center
The Montalvo Arts Center, and the Lucas Artists Residency Programs seeks a dynamic and experienced arts professional to serve as Associate Curator for the multi-disciplinary Artistic Program. The Associate Curator will report directly to the Director of the Lucas Artists Residency Programs and will assist in the execution of a broad range of curatorial projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Assist in the planning and coordination of all artistic programs, including but not limited to New Directions, Final Fridays, Project Space Gallery Exhibitions, Sculpture on the Grounds, arts partnerships, residency selections and Centennial celebrations.
· Conduct research, development and preparation and planning for forthcoming Artistic programming and residency selections.
· Prepare interpretive materials and contribute curatorial text and content to meet a broad range of institutional goals, including educational, marketing, development and archival documentation.
· Develop public programs and other related activities to enhance the public’s understanding of the role of arts and residencies in a community.
· Contribute to the development of a Sculpture on the Grounds Program that will become a signature program of the institution; which may include commissions, loaned works, maquettes and acquisitions.
· Manage the coordination and care of the objects, on loan to or in the collection of the institution, from shipping and loan agreements to maintenance while on site, to proper documentation of works.
· Participate in budgetary planning and implementation of Artistic Programs, and residency selection processes.
· Serve as liaison for the activities of the department.
· Coordinate, train, supervise and evaluate arts programs and gallery interns and volunteers.
· Perform other related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
· Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in Art History or related field with knowledge of a wide array of contemporary art forms, including performance, music, literary and culinary arts; Minimum of 3-5 years experience in the field of contemporary art with direct experience in one or more of the areas addressed by this department;
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and coordinate complex projects to completion; Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to write interpretive material;
· Demonstrated ability to conduct independent scholarly research, particularly in the areas of historical and contemporary art forms;
· PC & Mac proficiency;
· Ability to work effectively, professionally and positively with staff, trustees, artists, volunteers and all other internal and external contacts;
· Bilingual Spanish or Mandarin preferred.
Working Conditions & Physical Tasks:
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to sit at a desk for extended periods, lift and move documents and supplies up to 25 lbs., and bend or reach to file and retrieve documents. The position involves regular local travel; valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle is required. The position requires evening/weekend availability. Clear background check and fingerprint screening through Department of Justice required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are asked to submit writing samples for programs including visual, performing and literary arts, to include didactic information for visual arts, an essay, and shorter descriptive text.
No calls please. Resumes will be accepted until February 21 or until the position is filled.
Montalvo Arts Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.