Job Opening – General Gallery Intern (02/2011)
Brooklyn, New York
Smack Mellon has internships available for college or graduate students, or recent college graduates, studying visual arts, art history and arts administration. We offer the unique opportunity to learn about running a non-profit organization with a gallery, artists studio space program, and two education programs serving local teens. Because we are a small organization, interns will have the chance to learn through direct contact with the Executive Director, Director of Exhibitions, Programs Manager, and artists. Please visit http://www.smackmellon.org for more information about Smack Mellon.
Interns may be involved with any of the following:
• Processing artists’ submissions
• Editing and printing digital images of past exhibits to be included in the archive
• Updating the mailing list, press kits, website
• Exhibition installations, painting walls and other physical aspects involved in maintaining the gallery
• Assisting with special events and artists’ receptions
• Planning and assisting with field trips and other aspects of the Art Ready after-school program for high school students
• Organizing artwork images for annual Art Auction Benefit
• Running errands and other administrative duties
We are looking for those with a good attitude who are hardworking, energetic and most importantly extremely detail oriented. Mac proficient in Word and Photoshop is a must and knowledge of other programs is a plus. Installation or fabricating experience is also a plus.
We are open Wednesday through Sunday and require a once a week commitment from 2-6 months. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Stipend is $20/day.
Please email a cover letter expressing your interest and resume to: Suzanne@smackmellon.org