Job Opening – Research Assistant (03/2011)
New York, New York
The Calder Foundation is a non-profit institution dedicated to preserving the legacy of the twentieth-century artist Alexander Calder. Since 1987, the Foundation has amassed and organized an exhaustive archive on the artist and his work. The archive consists of over 100,000 documents, 26,000 photographs, dozens of films, and thousands of press clippings, articles, and publications. At the core of this archive are Calder’s own personal documents and photographs. The Foundation continually researches and classifies information on more than 22,000 known works created by Calder, physically examines works attributed to the artist, collaborates with scholars and curators on publications and exhibitions, and facilitates the loans of works in its charge to major institutions worldwide.
The Calder Foundation seeks a full-time Research Assistant. This entry-level position is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate to gain an introduction to archiving and researching and to contribute to the organization.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- filing and the general maintenance of the Foundation’s extensive archive, including ordering archival supplies
- creating, editing, and standardizing entries in the Foundation’s databases
- classifying and organizing archival material, publications, and photographs
- assisting the Director of Archives with administrative and research tasks
- assisting the staff with requests for archival materials and fielding phone calls and correspondence regarding research requests
Applicants must demonstrate the following:
- B.A., preferably in Art History
- outstanding attention to detail, organization skills, and the ability to take direction well
- excellent analytic, research, and communication skills
- previous cataloguing and/or archival experience
- demonstrated abilities with databases (FileMaker Pro) and Adobe imaging software
- knowledge of French is beneficial
As the Foundation is a small institution engaged in a variety of projects, the successful candidate must be willing to multi-task and possess a sense of humor. The position is available immediately. The starting salary is $28,000/year.
To apply, please send a brief statement of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO PHONE CALLS OR AGENCIES, PLEASE.