Job Opening – Faculty Position (04/2011)
Part or Full-time Faculty Position: Art Business
Sotheby’s Institute of Art
New York, New York
Founded over 40 years ago in London, Sotheby’s Institute of Art is among the world’s leading postgraduate level institutions offering M.?A.? and public programs in art scholarship, connoisseurship and art business.? Students learn through first-hand encounters in the art world, examination of works of art in context, and study travel.? Degrees are granted through the New York State Board of Regents.?
The MA in Art Business is a distinctive and internationally known postgraduate program of study which combines art and business studies in an academic and professional framework.? Now in its 5th year in New York, the program plays a pioneering role in the development of an emerging new academic discipline.?
The instructor in Art Business is a key member of the core faculty, offering a course of study that will introduce students to economic theory as it relates to the art market, key business and financial concepts, and the practical and strategic steps necessary to develop, organize and finance a new business.? Students in this course will gain a familiarity with basic accounting principles and various business models and structures, including non-profits.? They will learn to read and interpret financial data and engage in effective analysis.? Studies will culminate in a final group project in which students develop and present business plans for a new art business.?
The position involves:
· Evaluating and updating existing courses; developing new courses; recruiting art world professionals to assist with course and academic assessment
· Advising on a regular basis to the MA Art Business program team and Institute colleagues on developments in the national and international economic aspects of the world of art business
· Incorporating new and relevant information and ideas into the MA program as and when required
The ideal candidate will have:
· Specialist knowledge of economics, accounting and finance with the ability to teach students at beginning and more advanced levels.?
· Teaching experience, ideally at the graduate level to an international student group.?
· Excellent communications skills, flexibility and interpersonal skills.?
· Ability to work within a small committed academic team, and to liaise closely with program director and coordinators.?
· A good general knowledge of art history and experience in the art world.
· M.?B.?A.? or advanced degree in a related area.?
· Advanced degree in art history or another art discipline a plus.?
· Expertise and experience with economic aspects of art business highly desirable.
Starting Date: August 2011
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.?
Please send covering letter and resume to:
Closing Date: Applications received by April 29, 2011 will receive preferential consideration; candidates will be reviewed until the position is filled.