Job Opening – Assistant Registrar – Loans & Exhibitions (05/2011)
Rubin Museum of Art
New York, New York
The Rubin Museum of Art (RMA), opened October 2, 2004, is dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition, and publication of Himalayan Art. The Assistant Registrar for Loans and Temporary Exhibitions will assist in the organizing logistics and the care of incoming and outgoing loans and temporary exhibition, and will participate in the implementation of the Museum’s main exhibition programs. The position reports to the Head of Collections Management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Works with the Head of Collections Management, and Art Storage Coordinator to manage the ongoing, day-to-day care and maintenance of incoming loans (on average 400-500 per annum), and other related material for temporary exhibitions, stored in multiple locations, according to professional museum standards.
– Coordinates all logistics for incoming and outgoing loans including but not limited to, gathering preparatory information on object for various departments, corresponding with lenders, and arranging shipping, insurance, couriers, as well as executing condition reports, unpacking/packing, and installation/de-installation.
– Assists Head of CM in reviewing and processing loan agreements for incoming and outgoing loan requests. Prepares correspondence with lenders.
– Facilitates and records movement of loans to ensure safe handling, packing, transportation and installation in conjunction with the Art Storage coordinator and Exhibitions Preparator.
– Prepares condition reports, receipts, and releases for loans entering and leaving the Museum.
– Creates and maintains a list of lender requirements, shipping details, and courier information for each exhibition and distributes to appropriate departments.
– Works with insurance providers to prepare and issue insurance certificates to lenders and vendors.
– Works with the Exhibition Preparator/Installation Coordinator to assists the art handling crew during installations, de-installations, and unpacking/packing of all loans in all registrarial matters and scheduling of couriers.
– Works with the Head of Collections Management and curatorial department to assess condition, conservation, framing and photography priorities; coordinates conservation, framing and photography arrangements for incoming loans as needed internally and with outside vendors.
– Assists in obtaining shipping, framing and conservation estimates in order to create exhibition budgets.
– Assists Head of Collections Management in writing any grants, Indemnity or Immunity from Seizure applications related to exhibitions.
– In conjunction with the Collections Management Database Assistant is responsible for data collection and entry into the collections database information related to exhibitions.
– Travels as courier with local and domestic exhibitions and loan shipments as needed.
– In conjunction with Assistant Registrar for Collections supervises departmental activities and personnel in the absence of the Head of Collections Management and train departmental interns and part-time staff.
– Assists Assistant Registrar for Collections in their duties as assigned by Head of Collection Management
– Performs all other duties as assigned.
– High $30’s commensurate with experience.
– Competitive benefits package.
– Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum studies or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
– At least three years museum registration and/or collections management experience. Including advanced knowledge of museum registration methods, art handling, packing, condition reports, fine art insurance, transportation, loans procedure and installation/de-installation of exhibitions experience
– Excellent organizational, communications, computer and proofreading skills.
– Ability to manage multiple, complex exhibitions.
– Knowledge in computer technologies and digital photography. Past Perfect experience preferred
– Available for travel and extended hours, as projects demand.
– Team player with a ‘can do’ attitude.
Submit cover letter and resume indicating Assistant Registrar – Loans & Exhibitions/NYFA in the subject line of your email and send to email@example.com. Please summarize your relevant qualifications for this specific position and provide your salary history and requirements. No generic statements please. Resumes that are not accompanied with a cover letter listing salary history and requirements will not be considered. Thank you.