Job Opening – Assistant Registrar – Collections (05/2011)
Rubin Museum of Art
New York, New York
The Rubin Museum of Art (RMA), opened October 2, 2004, is dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition, and publication of Himalayan Art. The Assistant Registrar for Collections will assist in organizing, managing and caring for the Museum’s permanent collection, and will participate in the implementation of the Museum’s main in-house and traveling exhibition programs with regard to the permanent collection. The position reports to the Head of Collections Management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Works with the Head of Collections Management and Collection Preparator to manage the ongoing, day-to-day care and maintenance of nearly 3,000 objects in the Museum’s collection, stored in multiple locations, according to professional museum standards.
– Facilitates and records movement of objects to ensure safe handling, packing, transportation and installation of work in the Collection, possible acquisitions, and temporary custody items.
– Coordinates all logistics for incoming and outgoing work from the Collection including but not limited to shipping, insurance, courier arrangements, condition reports, unpacking/packing, and installation/de-installation
– Facilitates and records movement of the Collection and ensures safe handling, packing, transportation and installation
– Prepares condition reports, receipts, and releases for the Collection for works entering and leaving the Museum
– Creates and maintains a comprehensive list of all Collection works at framers and conservators or temporary off-site, due dates for exhibitions, and all arrangements made for shipping and insurance
– Works with insurance providers to prepare and issue insurance certificates to lenders and vendors.
– Generates monthly insurance reports for Head of Collections Management
– Assists in obtaining shipping, framing and conservation estimates in order to create exhibition budgets.
– Assists Head of Collections Management in writing any grants related to conservation or housing of the permanent collection
– Assists Head of Collections Management in accessioning and de-accessioning work in the Collection and preparing materials for the Collection Committee
– Responsible for processing in a timely manner all departmental expenditures and invoices
– Organizes and maintains all departmental and Collection files
– Assists with inventory of collection and generates reports for finance related to the collection
– In conjunction with the Collections Management Database Assistant is responsible for data collection and entry into the collections database information related to the collection.
– Works with the Head of Collections Management and curatorial department to assess condition, conservation, framing and photography priorities; coordinates conservation, framing and photography arrangements for RMA collection.
– Travels as courier with local and domestic exhibitions and loan shipments as needed.
– In conjunction with Assistant Registrar for Loans and Temporary Exhibitions supervises departmental activities and personnel in the absence of the Head of Collections Management and train departmental interns and part-time staff.
– Assists Assistant Registrar for Loans and Temporary Exhibitions in their duties as assigned by Head of CM.
– Performs all other duties as assigned.
– High $30’s commensurate with experience.
– Competitive benefits package.
– Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum studies or related field. Master’s degree is preferred;
– At least three years museum registration and/or collections management experience. Including advanced knowledge of museum registration methods, art handling, packing, condition reports, fine art insurance, inventory, transportation, collections care and storage requirements and collections management;
– Excellent organizational, communications, computer and proofreading skills.
– Ability to manage multiple, complex projects.
– Knowledge in computer technologies and digital photography. Past Perfect experience preferred
– Available for travel and extended hours, as projects demand.
– Team player with a ‘can do’ attitude
Submit cover letter and resume indicating ASSISTANT REGISTRAR-COLLECTIONS/NYFA in the subject line of your email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please summarize your relevant qualifications for this specific position and provide your salary history and requirements. No generic statements please. Resumes that are not accompanied with a cover letter listing salary history and requirements will not be considered. Thank you.