Job Opening – Museum Preparator (05/2011)
Princeton, New Jersey
The Princeton University Art Museum seeks a qualified art handler to join the members of the Preparator’s Office in preparing works of art for study, storage, exhibition, conservation, and transit. This is a casual hourly position based on the needs of the museum’s programming. Candidate will work to complete assignments generated by the museum’s curators, registrars, and conservators. The preparator reports directly to the manager of exhibition services.
Essential Qualifications: The museum preparator is charged with the safe and dutiful art handling of a broad range of media from a collection of 72,000 objects. The preparator is responsible for the preparation, installation, and maintenance of art objects in the permanent collection, on exhibition, in storage, and on permanent display in the Museum and elsewhere on campus. Additional responsibilities may include:
* Assisting the Images Services Manager with coordinating and preparing works for document photography.
* Custom packing and transport of art objects on campus and in the NY/PHL region.
* Assisting in the preparation and maintenance of 19,000 square feet of public galleries including painting and repairing walls, preparing exhibitions furniture and mounts, and mounting object labels.
This position requires considerable experience in fine art handling. The preparator will be expected to move confidently among a sizable range of media and to properly analyze the physical requirements necessary to carry out assignments. Additional requirements:
* Minimum of three years experience in a museum or gallery setting as a fine art preparator or conservation technician.
* Good knowledge of artists’ methods, materials, and techniques and a general knowledge of art history.
* Collaborative mindset with a strong ability to communicate and problem solve.
* Follow instructions.
* Self motivated, organized, and a keen sense to mission and detail.
* Knowledge of current fine art packing techniques.
* Considerable installations experience.
* Tested proficiency in primary carpentry skills.
* Comfortable on ladders, scaffolding, and lifts.
* Good physical health with an ability to move swiftly in and out of trucks and with an ability to lift, push, pull, and support heavy objects, crates, and other sundry items.
* Ability and willingness to lift 75 lbs.
* Valid driver’s license.
* Bachelor’s degree in fine arts or design.
* Finalist will be required to successfully complete a physical and background check.