Job Opening – Collections Management Coordinator (07/2011)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York, New York
The Metropolitan Museum of Art (“the Museum”) is a private, not-for-profit institution whose collections include more than two million works of art spanning 5,000 years of world culture, from prehistory to the present and from every part of the globe. The Museum’s activities include exhibitions, lectures, publications, concerts, and educational programs. The Museum funds its operations through a variety of means, including support from its long-term investment portfolio. The Museum’s long-term investment portfolio has a current value of approximately $2.5 billion, and is invested globally across a diverse mix of asset classes.
The Digital Media department is seeking a Collections Management Coordinator to assist in data cleanup and data entry in preparation for the consolidation of the Museum’s 20+ The Museum System (TMS) databases. Day-to-day activities will include reviewing and correcting information in TMS, corresponding with curatorial staff on cleanup needs, and entering data as necessary. The Collections Management Assistant will be responsible for management of departmental database projects (TMS) under the guidance of Digital Media staff and administrators through June 2012.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Member of Collections Management team in the Digital Media department, with specific responsibilities for data cleanup and implementation of the Museum’s cataloging standards.
• Work to reconcile authority lists in preparation for the consolidation of the MMA’s 20+ instances of TMS into a single system. Examples of authority list include artists and donor names.
• Assist in the creation of a museum-wide database thesaurus.
• Assist curatorial departments in data entry projects.
• Coordinate cleanup and standards implementation activities with curatorial representatives, exercising a high level of attention to detail and sensitivity toward curatorial concerns.
• Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Experience working with museum cataloging systems with a strong preference for experience with The Museum System (TMS).
• Experience with collections catalog cleanup activity.
• Experience in working to prepare catalog records for online presentation.
• Demonstrated experience with art historical collections documentation.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
• Excellent organizational, proofreading, and analytical skills, with close attention to detail.
Knowledge and Education:
•Bachelor’s degree in Art History or related field required
• Knowledge of published vocabularies for cataloging practice including AAT, ULAN, and TGN, etc.. is preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.