Job Opening – Fine Photography Gallery Internship (10/2011)
B. Hollyman Gallery
Learn how to run a small fine photography gallery. There are only 2 serious fine photography galleries in Austin solely dedicated to exhibiting fine photography in Austin. We are one of them! The other is Stephen Clarke Gallery. B. Hollyman Gallery has sponsorship relationships with the Austin Center for Photography and the Friends of Photography at the Harry Ransom Center and there may be activities related to supporting those organizations. Up coming shows are featuring such icons of photography as Henry Horenstein, Loli Kantor, Elliott Erwitt, Thomas Benton Hollyman and many others.
We are looking for an intern who can sit in our gallery 2 days per week, Friday & Saturday, from 10am to 5pm and interact with visitors and potential clients with information on current shows as well as support sales and “back-office” activities such as helping build a image database. Some photo history knowledge is helpful but not absolutely required. One of the on-going activities will be to enter works into our Gallery database and maintain records.
The job is highly entrepreneurial in nature and requires a renaissance person who will self-actuate and self-manage. Most of the internship involves sitting in the gallery but conducting tasks at the desk when not greeting and helping visitors. One day you might be interacting with potential clients and the next running errands to framing shops to get new work framed and new shows mounted and hung. Although not a requirement, attendance at our once-monthly show openings and artists talks is a bonus. Besides, they are really fun!
- Outgoing personality, great listener with consultative sales skills.
- Highly responsible and completely dependable person who can open and close the Gallery and run errands.
- Great work ethic and team player.
- Cheerful, positive outgoing personality who loves interacting with people and is pleasant when greeting and working with visitors and potential clients.
- A deep passion for photography.
- A degree major in Art History and a focus on photography is preferred.
- Some photo history knowledge is major plus but not absolutely required.
- Someone who is trying to figure out if they want to pursue potential future career interest in gallery operations or museum curatorship.
- Knowledge of Apple’s Bento software a plus.
- PC skills (Mac required).
- Must have own transportation for possible errands (we will reimburse gas, etc.)
How to Apply: Go check out the B. Hollyman Gallery site at http://www.bhollymangallery.com and get acquainted with the Gallery’s focus. Then email Burnes Hollyman @ firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him why you are the most awesome person in the world for this internship. Send him a 1-2 page resume because you will be doing that a lot in the future so you might as well get the practice! If we think you are a possible fit, we will contact you.
Interviews will be held at the Gallery.
B. Hollyman Gallery is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and we will not discriminate in any aspect of employment against any person on account of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, pregnancy, veteran status, or physical or mental handicap unrelated in nature and extent to an individual’s ability to perform a job or any other characteristic protected by the employment discrimination laws in any state or political subdivision in which B. Hollyman Gallery does business.