Job Opening – Newhall Photography Fellow (02/2012)
The Museum of Modern Art
New York, New York
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for its Beaumont and Nancy Newhall Curatorial Fellowship. This is a full-time, three year grant funded position. The Museum began to collect photographs in 1930 and established the department in 1940; its holdings of more than 25,000 works dating from approximately 1840 to the present constitute one of the most important collections of photography in the world. As diverse as photography itself, the collection includes work not only by artists, but also by journalists, scientists, entrepreneurs, and amateurs.
The Newhall Fellow will assist the department’s senior curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities with specific additional responsibilities as follows:
– Performs administrative tasks in the context of curatorial functions including acquisition procedures, collections records, research for exhibitions and publications, departmental committees, loans, and general curatorial inquiries.
– Performs exhibition support functions, including general research, checklist maintenance, assistance with loans, catalogue preparation, wall labels, liaise with other areas of the museum such as exhibitions, conservation, publications, graphic design, framing, etc.
– Performs work in relation to the care of the collections in gallery, study center, and storage areas.
– Conducts collection gallery inspections and assists in follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc. Answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
– Researches and catalogues the Museum Collection and Archives under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars with regard to such information.
– Assists in the administration of artists’ viewing program and the departmental study centers.
Qualified candidates must possess a Master’s degree in Art History, ABD candidates preferred, with a focus on the history of photography preferred and 2 years’ relevant museum experience or equivalent. Candidates must also be conversant with modern and contemporary art and the history of photography. Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills are also required. We seek individuals who are highly motivated, pay strict attention to detail, have excellent computer skills, and will bring a high level of enthusiasm to work with a curatorial team. Candidates should also have the ability to manage more than one project at a time and to consistently meet deadlines. Knowledge of one foreign language preferred.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements, to email@example.com. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.