Job Opening – Assistant Curator of Contemporary Art (02/2012)
Corcoran Gallery of Art
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the Curator of Contemporary Art with the conception, development, and realization of loan exhibitions of postwar and contemporary art. Arrange loan agreements; coordinate exhibition contracts; help with production of catalogues, exhibition texts, labels, and other printed materials; help develop and coordinate installations of artwork; produce exhibition-related correspondence.
• Under the direction of the Curator of Contemporary Art, develop and coordinate ongoing series of small-scale, focused, one- or two-artist contemporary exhibitions.
• Work with Public Education staff to develop ancillary programs related to exhibitions.
• Research, write, and edit interpretive essays for exhibition publications.
• Present public lectures and gallery tours in support of exhibitions and educational projects.
• Work with the Curator of Contemporary Art and Development staff to develop new sources of financial support for exhibition programs, and assist with the writing of grant proposals to secure funding.
• Conduct independent research on topics related to the Corcoran’s contemporary art activities.
• Work with the Curator of Contemporary Art to conceive, research, and develop exhibitions of contemporary art drawn from the permanent collection.
• Conduct research on objects in permanent collection as well as objects proposed for acquisition. Respond to research requests from colleagues and the general public.
• Work with the Curator of Contemporary Art to develop new sources of funding support for acquisitions, including cultivation of patrons for future gifts to the collection.
• Help coordinate collection activities with registrars, rights and reproductions personnel, conservators, art handlers, framers, and photographers, to support collection loans, research, storage, preservation, publication, and display.
College of Art and Design:
• From time to time, help develop and teach academic courses and/or supervise students in relation to contemporary art history, exhibition development, and museum studies.
• Present guest lectures and guide tours for students of the College.
• Participate in student portfolio critiques.
• Manage general departmental mail and correspondence related to research requests from colleagues and the general public.
• Conduct research on and maintain exhibition, collection, and artist files.
• Contribute to the activities of the Corcoran’s support and membership groups.
• Coordinate mailing lists, contact lists, and cultivation lists for audience development and fundraising efforts for the Contemporary Art department.
• Conduct general research on current events and activities in contemporary art (requires systematic reading of various art magazines as well as visits to local and national exhibitions).
Please send resume, references, and salary history to HR@corcoran.org