Job Opening – Assistant Director, Communications (05/2012)
The Museum of Modern Art
New York, New York
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Director of Communications. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Assistant Director manages and coordinates exhibition-related media relations and social media strategy and execution with the Department’s publicists; fields, evaluates, and responds to incoming press inquiries for senior staff; and develops and pitches stories to publicize the Museum’s exhibition and film programs, education initiatives, and other topics as assigned.
Specific responsibilities include:
– Develops strategy, integrated communications plans, and press materials for exhibition publicity.
– Pitches feature stories, cultivates critics, and develops new press contacts in national, international, print, broadcast, and online outlets.
– Oversees press event operations and management.
– Evaluates interview requests and organizes interviews for Museum staff.
– Coordinates with curatorial departments and other staff for communications outreach, exhibitions, programs, and events.
– Serves as lead publicist for select major exhibitions, educational programs, and other projects.
– Works with Digital Marketing team to develop and execute social media strategies to support the Museum’s exhibitions and other events and programs.
– Coordinates efforts with the Director of Communications to develop and implement strategy; provides support as needed on news stories; and occasionally represents the Director in meetings and special projects as assigned.
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree, with concentration in Communications, English or Journalism, and background in Art History preferred and 5-7 years’ experience successfully managing communications strategy and campaigns in a fast-paced environment, preferably in an arts/culture and/or non-profit environment or equivalent. Thorough knowledge of New York media and experience working with national press outlets is essential. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Ability to manage projects independently and establish and juggle priorities. Knowledge of social media practices and experience using various social media platforms as part of an overall communications strategy is also very important.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.