Job Opening – Curatorial Assistant, Drawings (07/2012)
The Museum of Modern Art
New York, New York
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Curatorial Assistant in its Department of Drawings.
The Curatorial Assistant will assist the Department’s senior curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities including research for exhibitions and publications, administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, departmental committee meetings, loans, and general curatorial inquiries.
Additional responsibilities include:
– Performs work in relation to care of the collection and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required by the curators in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study and storage areas.
– Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
– Performs the duties of exhibitions assistant including research on subjects such as artists, periods, styles, etc., on specific works, on locations of works, on photograph sources, etc.
– Assists with arranging loans; catalogue preparation; preparation of checklists including compiling and typing; coordinating and scheduling work to be done within the Museum and without in such areas as conservation, photography, public information, matting and framing, construction, lighting, etc.
– Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels. Conducts daily inspection of the works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with necessary follow-up arrangements, answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
– Researches and catalogues the Museum Collection under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars.
Master’s degree in Art History strongly preferred with a particular expertise/exposure to art from 1880 to 1950. Some prior curatorial experience is a plus. Superior research and writing skills and fluency in French (reading, writing, speaking). Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and other standard office procedures and equipment.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements directly to email@example.com. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.