Job Opening – Associate Educator, Courses and Seminars (08/2012)
The Museum of Modern Art
New York, New York
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for an Associate Educator, Courses and Seminars in its’ Education Department. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Adult Programs and the Assistant Director, Academic Programs, the Associate Educator will be responsible for implementing and overseeing MoMA’s gallery lecture program, assisting with coordination of all aspects of MoMA Courses, and managing education programming for the 12-month Internship Program. Specific responsibilities include:
• Develops interpretive seminars, courses, and workshops for freelancers and the public. Maintains master knowledge of MoMA’s history and collection in order to teach from the collection and model excellent teaching practice for others. Gives Gallery Conversations.
• Liaises with Community and Access Programs and Group Services in recruitment and evaluation of over 40 contract Lecturers; develops and leads ongoing training; serves as point of contact for all Lecturer issues; maintains volunteer relations, and oversees scheduling of Gallery Talk Monthly Schedule; handles contracts, payments, and expenses for Lecturers and other costs connected to the Gallery Lecturer program.
• Works with Assistant Director, Academic Programs on developing the content of MoMA Courses. Oversees implementation of all evening courses at the Museum. Interfaces directly with prospective students for courses.
• In consultation with Assistant Director, Adult Programs and Assistant Director, Academic Programs, develops and leads gallery talk training for 12-month interns, contract lecturers, and curatorial and education staff.
• Develops and implements an innovative education program that introduces 12-month interns to Museum practice and theory.
• In consultation with Assistant Directors and Director, Adult and Academic Programs, manages, implements, and organizes participatory gallery programs.
Qualified candidates will possess an MFA or MA in Art Education, Studio Art, or Art History and minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in museum education, preferably in the adult programs area or equivalent. Knowledge of modern and contemporary art. Minimum 3 years’ teaching experience in museums. Knowledge of lecturing in galleries. Experience evaluating instructors. Experience developing and implementing public programs in museum galleries and auditorium-based programs. Excellent management and diplomacy skills. Strong experience in program administration. Excellent organizational and program management skills including: keen attention to time-sensitive tasks, details, and follow-up; ability to multi-task on several detailed projects simultaneously. Public speaking experience. Excellent writing skills. Fluency in a foreign language preferred.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements, to email@example.com. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.